Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A year of Environmental Reporting: My 2019 in 5 Photos

I haven't blogged this year. But all through the year, I traveled, telling the stories that somehow didn't get reported or, as a colleague once said, "just fell through the crack". And while on my job, there were many powerful moments that filled me with strength and inspiration - the reason why I could go on, no matter how hard it was. Sharing today, as I say goodbye to this year, 5 of those moments. Have a look and feel free to share, if you  like them.

#1. The Peatland Restorers of Philippines


Standing guard over the vast stretch of peatland in Leyte sab-a basin , Philippines, these are women of Tacloban, Palo and Leyte who have survived several disasters including the 2013 typhoon Hayan. And now they have joined hands to restore the peatland which is a crucial step towards restoring the entire ecosystem of the region.
Also considered  a crucial step in fighting climate change, they have also been partnering with the government to restore the peatland. Here is my story on these awe-inspiring women and their work http://www.ipsnews.net/2019/03/island-women-take-lead-peatland-restoration/




This is the first story I did this year. In a remote region of Myanmar, a fishing community has come together to restore the mangrove forest that was destroyed a decade ago by the tsunami. The community has since planted millions of trees and become the only mangrove forest to be qualified for carbon trading. Here is my story - republished by the medium https://medium.com/ipsnews/sprouting-mangroves-restore-hopes-in-coastal-myanmar-a074157dce6f






Korchi in India's Maharashtra state has been in the news often, but always for either an encounter between the security forces and militants, or  a shutdown. This is because the village has been witnessing a raging armed militancy for quite sometime. But unknown to many, indigenous women of the village have been fighting hard and claiming back their right to forest., so they can protect it from illegal loggers. Here is my story on this: http://www.ipsnews.net/2019/08/in-the-midst-of-conflict-indias-indigenous-female-forest-dwellers-own-the-land/





You have seen them all over the continent and beyond: young students skipping classes and walking down the streets, raising their voices and hoping to raise the consciousness of others - especially the policy makers, to take greater, urgent climate action. I spend some time with them in Belgium this year. I was touched and inspired  by their passion and resolve like everyone else. Well, almost everyone. Here is my report on them https://www.mo.be/en/reportage/hope-army-belgium-s-climate-activists-marches



#5 The Unstoppables : Children of the Marshall Islands

  
And finally, I share this photo of children of the Marshall Islands - the most climate vulnerable country in the world - being just children. It was just a few hours after there was a huge storm, huge, scary waves and intense rain. The sky was still cloudy when I walked to the lagoon of Majuro - not too far from the secretariat building and saw this group of kids jumping into the water, without a worry in the world! Life is for living , life is now, this moment and this is what I learnt form these children - a thought I am going to carry all the way to the new year!

Happy 2020, see you there!

No comments: